Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Discipline is a 4 letter word

Ok, so my buttons were pushed again today.

What is the title for the generation that comes after the 'ME' generation? I am asking because I really don't know. Is it the 'Who gives a crap as long as it's all about me, me, me' generation? Or is it the "I can be as bratty and obnoxious as I want and you can't do a thing about it' generation. It sure seems like this is the direction things are going. And they are getting younger and younger and brattier and brattier.

I was in a store today, patiently waiting to pay for my purchase. Suddenly I hear this young female voice behind me. It was not a sweet, young child's voice, but the voice of the devil. She very forcefully shrieked, "Mommy, I want this." as she fingered something hanging on the end cap in crinkley, noisy plastic. Mommy said no. The Devil again, "I want it Mommy." Mommy said no. After a few more of these exchanges, the child says, "WELL I WANT IT AND I AM GETTING IT, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY" in a shrill voice. 

Mommy was a wimp. She should have explained that this was a public place and that know one wanted to hear her horrid little brat's demands. She never explained that as the parent, her word is final. She never told the child to be quiet. She never said or did anything that would give anyone in the near vicinity the slightest clue that she, the parent understood what manners were and that she was trying to teach them to her children. What a disappointment. I can't blame the kid for intolerable behavior because of the lack of parenting by 'Mommy'. My mom would have given me her best, most disapproving look, which was always reserved for public. She never needed to raise her hand, her voice or even say a word for that matter. She had a knack for getting the point across. If any of us dared talk to her like that anywhere, let alone in public. . . . . . .

When did it start? When did parents let the kids rule them and make demands that must be met, or else? I am so sick and tired of parents who have no back bone. They are kids for gawd's sake. Don't let your kids run in circles around the customers in the store. Don't let them throw merchandise on the floor and run away. Don't let them break or damage goods for sale. Last I knew you adults were supposed to be raising them. Teach them responsibility. Teach them manners. Teach them good behavior. Let's not forget to teach them discipline.

By the way the child was about 5, the mother was roughly 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment